Search This Blog

Thursday, April 21, 2011

Not Out of a Box Scalloped Potatoes

Gosh....I've been such a slacker this month!! I've only posted like 4 or 5 posts....but I really have been sick. It's not that I haven't cooked anything....cuz I totally have. Then I take pictures of it, load it to my computer and then I don't post anything because I've exerted all my energy getting to that point....I know....slacker!! But pneumonia really takes a lot out of you!! My family should be thankful I love to cook....cuz they mighta been real hungry if I didn't!! ;)

Sometimes you just need to eat down home, yummy for your tummy, hearty comfort food. I would definitely say that scalloped potatoes fall into that category!! What's better than ooey gooey cheesy potatoes? Um......not much!! These potatoes made me happy.....;) Oh....the chicken I made was purty tasty too!!

5 potatoes, sliced into thin slices
3 T flour
3 T fat (butter, oil, shortening, bacon fat...that's what I used)
2 cups milk
3 cups of cheese, any kind ie: cheddar, jack, pepper jack, swiss, mozzarella etc
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp season salt
1 tsp dijon mustard
1/4 cup panko bread crumbs

Grease a 1 qt baking dish with butter and preheat oven to 425 degrees. It's not necessary, but I stuck my potatoes in the microwave for 7 minutes before putting the casserole together. Next, in a small saucepan, place the fat and flour and cook over medium heat for about 3 minutes stirring with a whisk. Whisk in milk and continue whisking for about 5 minutes, until the sauce thickens. Add 2 cups of cheese, nutmeg, season salt, and dijon mustard. Mix well until all cheese is melted. Begin layering your casserole with potatoes in a single layer. Top with 1/3 of the sauce and 1/3 of the remaining cheese. Continue two more times then top with the panko bread crumbs. Bake for 20-25 if you pre microwaved the potatoes and 50-60 minutes if the potatoes were raw.

2 comments:

  1. I love scalloped potatoes and these so sound good!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ellie yesterday I made even better ones!! I put fresh sage and chopped bacon in my roux and they turned out AMAZING!!!!

    ReplyDelete