Search This Blog

Sunday, July 24, 2011

Chicken Pot Pie

If you look up comfort food in the dictionary there is a picture of chicken pot pie. Seriously!! It is definitely on the comfort food top ten list, along with fried chicken, mashed potatoes, meatloaf, mac and cheese, egg rolls......ok....well maybe not egg rolls......but they are good!!

I used the pie crust recipe that I posted with the Blueberry Pie you can find it here in case you missed it. This was probably the best pie crust I've ever made!! I will use it again and again!!
I put so much love into this pot pie and there were just layers and layers of flavory goodness!!

I roasted my veggies in the oven before mixing it with my roux that I added sage to. I also used mini potatoes whole. But I must confess it wasn't all fresh veggies....I used frozen corn, peas and pearl onions. It's just so much easier to add them frozen at the last minute before pouring into your pie dish and baking.

2 whole bone in chicken breasts (or precooked rotisserie chicken or 2 boneless chicken breasts)
1 lb mini potatoes
4 carrots, diced in 1" pieces
1 pkg frozen pearl onions
1 cup frozen peas
1 cup frozen carrots
6 fresh mushrooms, sliced
3 Tbls flour
3 Tbls butter
1 cup milk
1 1/2 cup chicken stock
salt and pepper to taste
1/8 tsp nutmeg
3 fresh sage leaves, minced fine
Pie crust

Place chicken breasts on baking sheet and sprinkle with salt and pepper and place in oven on 400 and roast until cooked through. Cool chicken for 10 minutes then remove from bone and dice in 1" pieces. Place whole potatoes and diced carrots on baking sheet. Sprinkle with olive oil and salt and pepper. Roast on 400 til veggies are tender. In a large sauce pan melt 3 Tbls of butter, once butter is melted add flour. Whisk together and let 'fry' for 1-2 minutes. Then add milk, chicken stock, salt and pepper to task, sage leaves and nutmeg. Allow sauce to simmer and thicken for about 10 minutes. Taste to make sure you salt levels are good. Mix in chicken and all veggies. Once everything is coated in the sauce pour into pie plate. Top with pie crust and shape it to look pretty. Bake until golden brown on top. About 30 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment