Search This Blog

Saturday, July 23, 2011

Fruit Topped Waffles

Ok so I was shopping one day and came across some coconut flour. I had been doing research on coconut flour for a while and had come to the conclusion that I would have to order it online because there was NO WAY that I would find it in my town..........but then randomly there it was!! Yeah me!!

So I bought it....then it sat for like a week in my pantry.....because I had NO IDEA what do make with it!! Until one lovely Saturday morning when I felt like making breakfast for the fam.......and alas......a coconut flour breakfast was born!!

Hello.......waffles....duh.....that would totally work....right?? It did work although there was a slightly different texture to the waffles they were very tasty!! I love the way you get the slightest hint of coconut taste with the flour.......well and of course I did use coconut oil too. Instead of a light crispy waffle these were more of a cake like waffle, but equally delicious!! This version is going to be the super low sugar version. You will see the substitutions if you don't want the low sugar version!!

Then all I did was chop up fresh strawberries and mix with blueberries and top with homemade whipped cream that was also sugar free!!


     
  • 1 cup coconut flour

  • 1 cup whole wheat flour (or 2 cups all purpose)

  • 2 eggs

  • 1 3/4 cups  almond milk (or regular milk)

  • 1/2 cup coconut oil

  • 1 tablespoon xylitol (or sugar)

  • 4 teaspoons baking powder

  • 1/4 teaspoon salt

  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract



  • Directions
    1. Preheat your waffle iron. Beat eggs in large bowl with hand beater until fluffy.  Then add  in flour, milk, vegetable oil, sugar, baking powder, salt and vanilla, and beat just until smooth.
    2. Spray preheated waffle iron with non-stick cooking spray. Pour batter onto hot waffle iron. Cook until golden brown.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment