Search This Blog

Friday, November 5, 2010

Carne Asada, Arroz y Frijoles con Guacamole......bueno comida!!




Have you ever gone to a Mexican restaurant with the anticipation of having a great, authentic meal and left....hugely disappointed, unsatisfied and barely full cause the food wasn't even good enough to stuff yourself?? Yeah well that happened to me recently and I swore I was gonna come home and duplicate the meal and it was gonna knock my families socks off!! Nothing worse than paying good money for something you can make 10 times better!!

This dinner came out fabulous!!! It was by far the best guacamole and carne asada I have ever made!! I love it when that happens!! And well...beans and rice....I can do in my sleep.


Carne Asada


carne asada meat (they usually sell it sliced like that at the grocery store)

1 lg lemon, zested and juiced

2 limes, zested and juiced

1 Tbls chili powder

3 tsp salt

4 cloves garlic, mashed into paste

1 1/2 tsp oregano

1 1/2 tsp cumin

1 tsp chili flakes

1 tsp black pepper

3 Tbls oil, I used canola


Put meat and all ingredients in a large ziploc or large bowl or plastic container and mix until all meat is coated!! Refrigerate at least several hours or preferably overnight. Cook either on the bbq or in a frying pan or on a griddle.


Guacamole
 

The problem with guacamole nowadays is people want to add too much stuff to it. I think it tastes best in its simpliest form!! And.....fresh garlic is key!!
2 avocado's

 
2 cloves garlic, made into paste

small handful cilantro chopped

salt to taste

1/2 lime juice

Mix all ingredients, I don't like to completely mash my avocado's I like it kind of chunky. But you can do what you like!!


Make mexican rice.....I think the key to rice is frying it before you cook it!! Just fry it with oil, onion and tomato for about 7-10 min, then add your liquid and salt.
 
Beans


Boil your pintos with an onion cut in half, 3 cloves of garlic, a jalapeno, and salt until beans are cooked. Approx. 1 1/2 to 2 hours. I usually reserve about a cup of whole beans then throw the rest in the food processor. Then mix them all together. Then in a frying pan I heat some oil and add 1/2 of a very thinly sliced onion. Brown the onion, then add the beans and fry.


I served this meal with corn tortillas....of course!!




No comments:

Post a Comment