Search This Blog

Sunday, May 15, 2011

Jerk Chicken with a Chipotle Twist

Good stuff!! Jam packed full of flavor and the spices.....well...they are wonderful!! I served this with cilantro rice and the jicama apple slaw which I posted the recipe for yesterday. What an amazing dinner!! You should definitely marinate this for at least 6 hours, makes a huge difference in the flavor that absorbs into the meat!!

I actually have only made jerk chicken once before and it was literally like 8 years ago and that recipe was a dry rub recipe. I think this recipe was better because it was a liquid marinade and I think it was sooo flavorful!! Of course I changed things up to make it my own!! Instead of jalapenos or scotch bonnet like most recipes called for I used chipotle (jalapeno) peppers which created a lovely smokey spice. Good idea!!

2 chipotle peppers, minced
2 T chipotle pepper sauce (from can)
1 medium onion, rough chopped
8 cloves garlic, rough chopped
3 green onions, cut into 6 pieces each
1 T allspice
1 T thyme
1 1/2 tsp black pepper
1 tsp sea salt
3/4 tsp nutmeg
3/4 tsp cinnamon
1 T honey
1/4 cup olive oil
1/2 cup gf soy sauce or coconut aminos
1/2 cup red wine vinegar
1/2 cup orange juice
zest of one orange
1 lime zested and juiced
3 lbs chicken

Put all ingredients except chicken into blender and puree until all spices are well blended. Place chicken in a zip loc bag and pour sauce over it. Marinate for minimum 6 hrs and up to 24 hrs. Bake or bbq to cook.

No comments:

Post a Comment