Search This Blog

Saturday, February 12, 2011

Homemade Refried Beans

It's so easy to make refried beans, even a caveman can do it!! I dare you........no I double dog dare you to take a comparison test and see if you ever EVER EVER eat refried beans from a can again!! So I challenge you to make these beans then have a can of them ready also. Do a side by side comparison based on how they look and taste and then get back to me!!

Here's a question for you.......to pressure cook or not to pressure cook??? That is the question!!! I myself personally use a pressure cooker.....I <3 IT!!!!  I can't believe I lived all those years without it.....no really....I mean it.....I can't believe it. I can have the beans made in like 40 minutes!! It's a beautiful thing!! But it is not necessary....you know if you have like 2 hours to spare watching a pot of beans boil and adding water.....blah blah blah.....that was the old me. The new me.....yeah well I'll take the expedited cooking process thank you very much!!

To soak or not to soak....that is the question......I really don't know....I NEVER do it so I can't say if there's a difference or not!! So I say....if you want to soak.......soak away.....if not.....just make sure you wash your beans really really really good!! The End

Homemade Refried Beans

1 lb pinto beans
1 onion, divided in half
1 jalepeno pepper (more or less depending on what you like, I used a pickled jalepeno)
5 cloves of garlic
1 T of chicken bouillon, or salt to taste


First, thoroughly wash your beans. Put them in a large saucepan (or pressure cooker), with half of the onion, jalepeno, garlic, and bouillon. Cover the with water. If using a pressure cooker, fill to full line. I bring my pressure cooker up to a boil before putting the lid on. Cook according to pressure cooker directions. If you are just cooking in a pot. Boil beans for 1 1/2 to 2 hours or until tender, being sure to keep the beans covered in water.

Once beans have cooked allow to cool slightly and add beans to food processor with enough of the bean liquid to blend into a thick consistency. In the meantime, in a frying pan, put 1/4 cup of oil and the other half of the onion, sliced thin. Fry the onion until golden brown, then add the beans and 'fry' for about 15 minutes. Serve

No comments:

Post a Comment