Search This Blog

Friday, February 4, 2011

Can I get some fries with that........KETCHUP

Get your mind outta the gutter....I wasn't gonna say shake.....geesh....

Sooooo.....I know it doesn't look like it.....but....it's ketchup.......real homemade ketchup....and....it's tasty!! Real tasty!! I know I've been mentioning that the hubs and I are eating healthy now. For the last almost 4 weeks now, yeah us!! The hubs is down about 15lbs and me only a lousy 5lbs..... oh pooh!! 

Anyways.....we are using The Belly Fat Cure and eating almost no sugar and super low carbs. I feel so much better!! But boy does it make you realize how much sugar we eat everyday, and let's face it....sugar is bad for us!!

So I found this recipe for ketchup....cuz let's face it a fry isn't a fry without ketchup!! I just did some adjustments according to what I had on hand, plus my sugar substitute!!

*ps- sugar substitutes are bad!! I use something called xylitol....it is completely natural!! AND IT TASTES JUST LIKE SUGAR!!!!

Ketchup
Adapted from Gourmet Magazine

1 (28oz) can diced tomatoes in juice
1 medium onion, chopped
4 garlic cloves, grated
2 T olive oil
1 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp allspice
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1 T tomato paste
1/2 cup xylitol or brown sugar
1/2 cup red wine vinegar

Puree tomatoes with juice in blender until smooth. Cook onions and garlic with oil and salt in a heavy saucepan over medium heat until golden brown, approx 8 min stirring occasionally. Add spices and pepper and cook, stirring frequently for 1 minute. Add tomato puree, tomato paste, sugar (xylitol), and vinegar and simmer uncovered for 50 minutes. Puree in blender until smooth. Chill up to one month.

No comments:

Post a Comment