Search This Blog

Saturday, March 19, 2011

Biscuits and Homemade Gravy

Please note....the title of this blog post is 'Biscuits and "Homemade" Gravy' not just gravy. If you use package gravy or heaven forbid....canned gravy *gagging* there should be some law passed against that. You know what.....that's what I will do with all my spare time....I will get a law passed against the inhumane unethical use of unnatural canned and packaged gravies!! Who's with me???? I will be sending out a petition the moment I'm done with this posting, so be sure to check your inbox!!!

I also made homemade biscuits. It really doesn't take long and the extra effort you put in for the homemade versions will definitely pay off in flavor!! Give it a try!! You can do it!! I also served scrangled eggs with these cuz I love to dip my eggs in gravy!! =)

Biscuits

2 cups flour
2 tsp sugar
1 tsp salt
3 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 stick butter
1 cup butter milk

In a large bowl mix flour, sugar, soda, powder, and salt. Next using a pastry blender, incorporate butter into flour mixture until butter is the size of peas or smaller. Add buttermilk until all flour is moistened. Turn on to floured surface and flour top of dough as well. Either roll out with rolling pin or flatten with hands, until 3/4" thick. Either cut into squares or cut with round biscuit cutter. Makes 8-12 depending on size and thickness. Bake in 450 oven for 12-16 minutes.

Homemade Gravy
1 lb ground sausage
3 T flour
2 cups, milk or heavy cream or combo of both
1 tsp fresh ground pepper
1/2 tsp salt (more or less depending on taste)
1/4 tsp freshly ground nutmeg

Cook sausage until cooked through. Drain drippings reserving 3 T only. Place drippings back in pan with sausage and add flour. Stir for approx 2 minutes to cook out the flour taste. Add milk, pepper, salt and nutmeg. Bring to boil and stir often until it is thickened. Pour over hot biscuits.

No comments:

Post a Comment