Search This Blog

Friday, March 4, 2011

Blueberry Lemon Scones

Soooo.....I've made these before......I just did some things different this time!! I just love scones and I love blueberries and....well anything with lemon flavor too!! So how could putting all three together be a bad thing....right?? I added a hint of nutmeg to these and it gave them a nice spice taste!!


Have you ever noticed that I try to match my font color to my food pics? Lol....kind of a random question....but it's true!! I like to color coordinate ok? :)


2 cups flour
1 T baking powder
1 tsp salt
1/3 cup sugar
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1 T lemon zest
2 T fresh lemon juice
1/4 cup butter
3/4 cup heavy cream
1 egg
1 cup blueberries (fresh or frozen)



Preheat oven to 400ยบ F.

In a large bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, salt, sugar and nutmeg; mix thoroughly.  Cut in butter using 2 forks, a pastry blender or your fingers. The butter pieces should be coated with flour and resemble crumbs.

In another bowl, mix the cream, egg, lemon juice and zest together, and then add to the flour mixture. Mix just until partially incorporated, do no overwork the dough.

Toss the blueberries in flour to coat, this will help prevent the fruit from sinking to the bottom of the scone when baked. Fold the blueberries into batter, being careful not to bruise.  Pour sticky dough out onto a well floured surface.  Pat to a ¾ inch height and cut with a pizza cutter into desired triangles or squares.  Place on a non stick baking mat or a baking sheet sprayed lightly with cooking spray.  If desired, brush the tops of the scones with milk and sprinkle with raw sugar.


Bake for 15 to 20 minutes until brown. Cool before applying lemon glaze.
Lemon Glaze
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1 T lemon juice
1 T heavy cream
Stir together and spread on warm (but not hot) scones.

4 comments:

  1. i was actually just looking for a good scone recipe this week. i'll have to give this one a whirl! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yumm!! Blueberry/lemon is my fav. combo! I must try these!

    ReplyDelete