Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Tuna Veggie Casserole......I love old school food!!

There is just something about old school classic meals that makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside. Things like tuna casserole, meatloaf, mac & cheese, beef stroganoff, and sooooo many more. I feel like Mrs. Cleaver or Wilma Flinestone.......ok maybe not Wilma....but you know what I mean. They just feel like authentic classic American fill you up kinda meals. That is a great feeling to have after making a meal. So I'm gonna giving you my version of Tuna Casserole, I threw in some veggies....you know cuz I can. :)
Here is just a few of the ingredients I used. Take note...I used whole wheat noodles!!
1 12-16 oz pkg of noodles of your choice
2 stalks of celery, chopped
1 onion, diced
1 T capers
2 cups broccoli, chopped
2 cans tuna, drained
2 cups grated cheese, any kind you like
3 cloves garlic
3 T butter
3 T flour
2 cups milk or broth and milk or heavy cream
salt and pepper to taste
a pinch of nutmeg

Chop your veggies like so........and while you are chopping your veggies you should be boiling your noodles. Once the noodle have boiled drain them and set them aside to make your sauce.
     In your pan combine your butter and flour and mix around for about 2 min to cook out the flour taste.
Whisk in your milk, cream or combo of both and whisk until all the lumps are gone. Add cheese and whisk until smooth. Now add salt and pepper to taste, nutmeg, all veggies, grated garlic and capers, and tuna. Cook until sauce is very thick and veggies are tender, about 5 minutes. Toss in noodles and stir until everything is coated!! Serve

2 comments: