Search This Blog

Saturday, November 20, 2010

Clam Chowder for those cold winter nights......

I LOVE clam chowder!! There are so many varieties. Some people like it thin and runny, some people like more liquid. I like mine thick and filled with veggies and clams....and when I'm feeling sassy....I'll make it a seafood chowder and add shrimp and scallops too.

I made a huge pot of this last night cause its just so cold outside and nothing warms the soul like clam chowder and sourdough bread that's been heated in the oven....right???? I cant wait for leftovers tonight!!

3 large potatoes, cut into chunks
2 large carrots
1 medium onion, chopped
3 stalks celery, diced
1 lb bacon, diced
2 tall cans clams
1 bottle clam juice
flour or cornstarch for thickening
1 quart half and half
4 cups water or stock such as fish stock or chicken stock

In a large stock pot cook diced bacon and cook completely. Add potatoes, carrots, onions and celery cook for 10 minutes, stirring often. Deglaze pan by adding bottled clam juice, plus juice only from canned clams, and stock. Simmer approximately 20 min until potatoes and carrots are cooked. Add half and half and clams and bring to a boil. Add either cornstarch or flour and water mixture to thicken chowder to desired consistency. I used cornstarch and I used 3 Tbl and 3 Tbl of water, mixed together and added to boiling soup, stir until thickened. Serve hot with sourdough bread.

No comments:

Post a Comment