Search This Blog

Saturday, November 20, 2010

El Salvadorian Pupusas

First of all..I would like to apologize for the poor picture quality!! I took the pictures with my Iphone and normally they don't come out this bad.....but this time they look super dark....so for that I'm sorry!! That said....no matter how poor the picture...it doesn't affect the taste!! If you've never had a pupusa before, well your just missing out!! My husband is from El Salvador and my mother in law taught me how to make these when we first got married. I have been making them for 17 years now and I think I'm damn good at it now!! There are several varieties of filling for them, but this recipe is my favorite. This is a pretty authentic recipe since it came straight from my husbands grandma.

Pupusas
2 lbs Chicharrones
8-10 Roma Tomatoes, seeded
1 large onion, cut into wedges
5 cups of Masa
2-3 cups water
1 Tbl season salt


Chicharrones is basically pork meat with the fat marble through it (you can use butt roast or whatever you find that is boneless and fatty), you chop into bit size pieces and put in a pan and cook it down. Eventually in the cooking process the fat will liquefy and 'fry' the pork meat. When the pork meat is golden brown it is done. Wash tomatoes and cut in half and squeeze the seeds out. Cut onion into wedges. Put 1/3 of pork, tomatoes and onion in food processor or blender and blend until pretty well blended together. Repeat until all ingredients are gone. Add salt to taste. In a large bowl add masa and season salt and combine well. Add water starting with 2 cups. Dough must be very moist but still firm enough to maneuver. Grab golf ball sized piece of dough and form a 'bowl' with the masa. See below




Now that you have your dough bowl fill it with the pork mixture.


You want enough filling to cover the entire pupusa once you flatten it. Close the top of the bowl so that you cannot see the filling any more and flatten between your hands.



Pat it with your hands to form a round shape that has the filling inside of it. Now fry on a oiled griddle or pan for about 6-8 minutes on each side. Serve hot.


Serve these with salsa and/or with this recipe for curtido which is a delicious cabbage salad that goes perfectly with them. Enjoy and good luck!! If you have any questions feel free to contact me through this blog!!

No comments:

Post a Comment